Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A shield about me

"In addition to all these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil." Ephesians 6:16 NLT

At the core of me, I'm a word junky. I love dictionaries. I love definitions. I love crafting new ways of saying something. I even love the PBS show Word World (I mean, seriously...everything is created out of letters!).

So one thing I do quite frequently when studying scripture is to look up definitions in the dictionary, in the back of my study Bible, and also on Blue Letter Bible.

Faith is categorized as a noun. It means "reliance, loyalty, complete trust"

Shield is a large, oblong piece of armor designed to  protect every part of the soldier; affecting the whole of his activities.

And when you think about armor, the shield of faith is the first line of defense against attack.

The KJV translates the first part of the verse with ABOVE ALL. So, the shield of faith is essential.




Though hard to recognize at the time, now I feel free to admit that my faith for most of my life fell way short of complete trust. It was a weak excuse for a first line of defense as well, and left me extremely vulnerable.

What I've noticed in myself as well as others who have opened up about childhood trauma is a similar feeling of broken trust. Broken faith, if you will.

Overcoming this foundational scar has been difficult in nearly every aspect of my life, including trust in God. I definitely wouldn't say it's healed either...vastly improved, yes. Healed, not entirely. But unlike my lack, God has been faithful.

He has taken my simple prayer...confessing my weak faith and asking for a strong first line of defense...and cut through my doubt and lack of understanding. He has made me realize that in order to have a strong shield of faith, I must trust that what God says about Himself is true.

God's Word calls Him our SHIELD:

"But you, O Lord, are a shield around me;
    you are my glory, the one who holds my head high." Ps. 3:3 NLT

"God is my shield, saving those whose hearts are true and right." Ps. 7:10 NLT

"I love you, Lord;
    you are my strength.
The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
    my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the power that saves me, 
and my place of safety." Ps. 18: 1-2 NLT

"He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler." Ps. 91:4 ESV

That last one really struck me. GOD'S faithfulness is a shield and buckler (one that shields and protects).



Wow.

Do I ever want THAT kind of shield. God's faithfulness AS my shield. As my buckler. As my protection.

May we all recognize Him as such today!



This is part of a series called deep to DEEP, a write 31 days challenge. For more posts in this series, click the image below:







No comments:

Post a Comment