Thursday, October 20, 2016

Helmet of Salvation





Helmet | "The helmet refers to the mind controlled by God." -Warren Wiersbe

Salvation | Deliverance from the power and effects of sin, danger, or difficulty by God's intervention

The more I learn about the brain, the more it amazes me. It was designed to be used! It's OK to be smart!

The brain is a huge gift God has given. I love learning. I always have. And yet, I'm only now learning how much I love and hunger for the WORD. The more truth I know, the better equipped I am to fight! And my brain plays a huge role.

It is vital to take thoughts captive -- to renew our minds* everyday!

For so long my thoughts were toxic**. And because the body is connected, all those toxic thoughts flooded my body, leading to depression & my struggle with adrenal fatigue.

But I thought I was normal...I didn't know any different. And so, unfortunately, my past includes a thought life embedded with lies and toxicity.

What hadn't occurred to me before studying this in the spring is that my toxic thoughts were sinful and something I needed to repent of and ask forgiveness for. Several years ago, I wouldn't have even explored this idea...I would have thought I was "fine." But blessedly God brought it to my attention and my heart was soft enough to catch on -- I unknowingly was behaving like a victim by  not taking responsibility for my thoughts! I was held captive by toxic thoughts and excuses. And because of that, I was separated from the helmet of salvation. 

But God. Elohim! Is worthy of ALL glory and honor and praise. I long to magnify His name and honor Him in all...including my thought life!

In March, this was part of my prayer: "I pray you will remove this sin from me as far as the east is from the west. I pray for covering and protection in my mind as I move forward. Please teach me how to take my thoughts captive. Please cover my head with the helmet of salvation!"

If something struck a chord with you today, please don't wait to bring it to your Father. Please don't wait to let Jesus' precious blood cover this part of your life! I know it feels easier to continue running. Or continue blaming. Or continue believing lies and swimming in toxicity! 

But you don't have to. 

Come to the Father. Humble yourself. Pray. Seek HIS face. And He WILL hear from heaven, and He WILL forgive sin and He WILL heal your land***.

Today, take back your land. God gave you a beautiful mind. A spectacular brain. 

Don't let that pesky enemy have another inch!


RESOURCES:
* Romans 12:2: "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." (NIV)

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (NLT)

** For more information about toxic thinking and its effect on physical health, I highly recommend reading or listening to Dr. Caroline Leaf

*** 2 Chr 7:14: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." (NIV)


This is part of a series called deep to DEEP, a write 31 days challenge. For more posts in this series, click the image below:





No comments:

Post a Comment